The Benefits of Eating Dumplings
Dumplings are a type of food that are made by wrapping a dough around filling, and then cooking that dough. The dough that is used is typically made from salt, water, flour, and fat. The fillings that are found inside dumplings vary as there are many ingredients that can go into them, such as meats, vegetables, and spices. The truth of the matter is that dumplings are a good source of soluble fiber, which is a type of fiber that dissolves in water.
Crunching the Numbers
A single steamed dumpling comes out to 37 grams which contains 41.8% calories. That breaks down into 1.7g of fat, 4.1g of carbs, 0.4g of fiber, and 2.5g of protein. For someone that indulges on two dumplings they are looking at: 12 to 22 grams of carbs. Steamed or boiled dumplings are healthy options, but do not forget about your fillings and serving sizes as well. One of the more popular options when it comes to dumplings are meat filled ones. Now there are many options of dumplings especially when it comes to fillings and how they are cooked. For example there are vegetable dumplings where you can still meet your nutritional needs while still keeping the calories low.
The consensus is that dumplings carry a whole lot of micronutrients and are typically healthy options.
As we were going over before, what is inside your dumplings are what make up the benefits. Dumplings are well known for their wide range of fillings. Such as onions, chives, Chinese radishes, ginger, and even celery. Lets go over the benefits of each one:
- Chinese Radishes: They provide an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and folic acid. They even contain cancer protective properties! Throughout history radishes have been used to combat liver disorders.
- Onions: They are a great source of vitamin B6 and C, chromium, biotin, and fiber. Studies have shown onion extract decreases blood lipid levels.
- Ginger: Has been proven to be very effective when it comes to alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. It is also a great remedy to kick motion sickness.
- Chives: Offer allicin content which contributes to cholesterol management. Another benefit of chives is they are great for reducing blood clots and blood pressure.
- Celery: Similar to chives, celery offers benefits of lowering blood pressure. While the juices in the celery will help balancing pH levels and neutralizing acidity.
Just like anything else dumplings are a great source of food and nutrition when taking moderation in mind. They can even offer health benefits with their fillings and multiple options. There are many different types of dumplings ranging from fillings, spices, and even how they are cooked. Anything from vegetable dumplings to a meat based filling of pork or chicken. Culture of course plays a role in how dumplings are prepared and made. For example, The Dumpling School offers traditional Taiwanese dumpling dishes.
Fulfill Your Hunger with The Dumpling School
Whether you are looking to try something new or are a dumpling enthusiast you can enjoy amazing dumpling dishes along with great entertainment at The Dumpling School. We offer both public and private dumpling parties! You can book our next event either on our website by filling out one of our contact forms or by calling us at 617-901-5159.